Launch is committed to providing a safe and productive workplace for its employees. In keeping with this commitment, the following rules regarding alcohol and drug abuse have been established for all staff members, regardless of position, including both regular and temporary employees.
- The manufacture, distribution, possession, sale, or purchase of controlled substances of abuse on Launch property is prohibited.
- Being under the influence of illegal drugs, alcohol, or substances of abuse on Launch property is prohibited.
- Working while under the influence of prescription drugs that impair performance is prohibited.
So that there is no question about what these rules signify, please note the following definitions:
- Company property/Launch Property: All Company owned or leased property or NYC DOE property used by Launch employees.
- Controlled substance of abuse: Any substance listed in Schedules I-V of Section 202 of the Controlled Substance Act, as amended.
- Drug: Any chemical substance that produces physical, mental, emotional, or behavioral change in the user.
- Drug paraphernalia: Equipment, a product, or material that is used or intended for use in concealing an illegal drug, or otherwise introducing into the human body an illegal drug or controlled substance.
- Illegal drug:
- Any drug or derivative thereof whose use, possession, sale, transfer, attempted sale or transfer, manufacture, or storage is illegal or regulated under any federal, state, or local law or regulation.
- Any drug, including – but not limited to – a prescription drug, used for any reason other than that prescribed by a physician.
- Inhalants used illegally.
- Under the influence: A state of not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties resulting from the voluntary introduction into the body of an alcoholic beverage, drug, or substance of abuse.
Consistent with the rules listed above, any of the following actions constitutes a violation of the Launch policy on drugs and may subject an employee to disciplinary action, up to and including immediate termination.
- Using, selling, purchasing, transferring, manufacturing, or storing an illegal drug or drug paraphernalia, or attempting to or assisting another to do so, at any and all times in any and all locations, whether before, during or after work ours, on or off Launch property.
- Working or reporting to work, conducting business or being on Launch property while under the influence of an illegal drug or alcohol, or in an impaired condition.